Today I am sharing a summer, chilled dessert, Mango Vanilla Slice. This is a no-bake recipe and is super easy to make. The bottom is a biscuit base, I like to use digestive biscuits, but you can use any plain biscuit you like. The centre of the slice is a vanilla custard pudding and is topped with a thick layer of mango jelly. This is so so good.
- 400gm digestive biscuits (or another plain biscuit of your choice)
- ⅓ cup melted butter
- 3/4 cup cornflour
- 1/2 cup custard powder
- 4 cups milk
- 1.5 cups cream
- 1 cups caster sugar
- 50g butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp gelatine powder
- 2 mangoes, pureed or 1.5 cup of mango puree
1. Add biscuits into a food processor or blender and blend until fine. Add to a bowl followed by the melted butter. The mixture should resemble wet sand. Press crumbs into the prepared cake tin or dish and place in the chiller while preparing the remaining ingredients.
2. Add custard powder, corn starch, and one cup of milk into a bowl to create a paste. Place aside.
3. In a large saucepan, place remaining milk, cream, butter, sugar and the custard mixture. Place over medium heat. Continue to stir until mixture is so thick it won't fall off your spatula.
4. Add in vanilla essence, followed by 3 egg yolks and mix in very quickly. Add this on top of your cooled biscuit base.
5. Prepare your jelly topping by place 1 cup of boiling water, with gelatin. Mix until its fully dissolved.
6.. Add mango puree to this and mix well before straining it through a sieve on top of your custard.
7. Leave in the chiller for approx 2-3 hours to set nicely then serve.